Lots of news to read lately. Make it easy on yourself and check out these links.
- Canadian universities are in the news due to ‘pro-rape’ chants.
According to a student who was live-tweeting during this, the chant goes as follows:
Y-O-U-N-G at UBC, we like ’em young, Y is for your sister, O is for oh so tight, U is for underage, N is for no consent, G is for go to jail.
- Kevin Hart beats a dead horse with his “comedic” stab at women and sports.
Today is “NATIONAL SHUT THE HELL UP DAY FOR WOMEN” ……Ladies u r not allowed to talk to your man while football is on!!! RT THIS ASAP
— Kevin Hart (@KevinHart4real) September 8, 2013
The responses are sane at least and quite funny.
- “Bro” culture in the military is damaging to all those involved, especially women who become easy targets to harassment.
- New app: ‘Titstare‘ at Techcrunch. “Women in tech deserve better.” It is pretty pathetic when a group who created the “Titstare” app which makes it easier to stare at breasts (as I’m sure you can tell from the name) are stood up by a 9-year-old maturity-wise. This ridiculous app is just a taste of what sexual harassment women in the field deal with.
And yet the industry runs on privilege, with sexist and juvenile behaviour based on gender stereotypes being routinely displayed.
What message does this send to the men, women and children who attended the event? Like Alexandra, the nine year old girl who presented her own app and was able to win over an audience with behaviour more mature than others?
This article goes into detail about the event as well as what it is like for women in the field. The article is definitely worth a read.
- Project Eve posted 19 best jobs for women in 2013.